Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oops, I lost my shirt (Day 27, August 18, Monday)

The BUV did not arrive as scheduled. Ok, it is not the first time. We are
still hopeful. Also, this is a Congo version of "Ground Hog Day". It is
Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or Saturday. Pick a day.

I spent the morning reading and anticipating the BUV arrival. Shortly after
I heard the news of no BUV for today. The storm rolled in. Dark skies,
wind, and just plain eerie. I broke the news to Dr. Bernard and others that
the BUV was still in Kinshasa. Another adventure but a bad adventure.

After the storm, I decided to get to work. Life still goes on! I walked by
my friend, Dr. Dominique's office but the generator was off. Therefore, I
knew there was no internet or electrictity. Next, I walked up to Jim's
house. I watched the Olympic's Games. Women Pole Vaulting, Men Steepchase,
Women's 800 meter, Men's long jump, etc. A nice escape to another world.

Later, I got a text message from James saying he and Eric was at the
Restaurant Mutanda, also known as my office. I gave up the olympics and
went. I was late! James, Mustafio, Eric, and two Belguim NCO had almost
finished a round of beer. Bad combination. Too many expats together in one
place is bad news. Then another round came. Finally, Eric, a visiting
Belguim expat, took an eye for my shirt. Normally, I just wear a T-shirt
but since the storm today, it was cool and I worn a short sleeved shirt with
the Congo Helping Hands logo. Before I knew what was happening, Eric and I
was exchanging shirts. I got a $20 Belgium shirt for my Walmart's Faded
Glory shirt at $7 plus $10 for the embroidered logo. A fair deal? We
departed at about 7pm as it was dark. I eat a quick snack of broiled goat
and french fries before heading back to my guest house. What happened to my
shirt?

Follow along the daily happening at endingextremepoverty (dot) org.

No comments: